Lincoln Center's 25th 'Midsummer Night Swing'
NEW YORK -- New York's most dazzling outdoor dance party - Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing - takes place Tuesdays through Saturdays, June 25-July 13, on the elevated dance floor in Damrosch Park on West 62nd Street, between Columbus and Amsterdam Avenues.
Week Three kicks off on July 9 with the retro jump blues of Ray Gelato and The City Rhythm Orchestra. Gelato's creamy vocals and pulsing saxophone will bring "mambo italiano" to the dance floor in Damrosch Park.
On July 10, the Grammy-winning Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra under the direction of Arturo O'Farrill will honor the "Palladium Big 3" - Tito Puente, Machito, and Tito Rodriguez - by playing sizzling salsa and mambo. Special guest will be timbalist Tito Rodriguez, Jr.
A homage to the recently deceased Queen of Disco, Donna Summer, will take place on July 11 by The Loser's Lounge. They'll perform Summer's hits along with songs by many other divas of disco.
The tempo stays red hot on July 12 when Tipica 73 takes over the bandshell for a night of salsa meets charanga.
On July 13, there will be a double-header: in the afternoon, Kids Dance! will take place, with Rodney Lopez from Dancing Classrooms teaching children to merengue, waltz, lindy, and mambo, for free. In the evening, the season closes with the Harlem Renaissance Orchestra playing its big band tribute to legendary bandleader Illinois Jacquet. Between sets the Fifth Annual Ambassador's Prize Dance Contest will have couples compete for the title of best lindy-hopper as well as a raft of prizes.
There will be a "Silent Disco" on July 11, following The Loser's Lounge live sets. At the "Silent Disco" dancers are provided with earphones to listen to extended dj sets after the live music ends at 10pm. While the participants dance seemingly in silence to the casual observer, bopping along to the "silent" beats, dancers are actually part of an exhilarating public/private dance party. Free with that night's live show ticket, or $5 at the door for Silent Disco only, subject to capacity.
For more information, visit: www.midsummernightswing.org.
View the full Midsummer Night Swing 2013 press release here!
lincoln center, summer fun, community
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 42 min ago
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos