Life & Community
New app helps runners stay on track
NEW YORK (WABC) -- With the 2012 New York City Half-Marathon set for this Sunday, hundreds of runners are getting some high-tech help to reach their training goals.
There's now a simple program for your mobile device that's just like having a virtual coach with you every step of the way.
The program was developed by John Honerkamp, a New York Road Runners coach, as a way to help his 700 runners succeed. Last year 2,000 people tested his Beta version for the New York City Marathon, including Neil Strahl.
And he succeeded. Now he's using the program to train for the NYC Half. The program synchs with a variety of mobile devices, even some watches, and it keeps track of your work. But it also allows you to be human.
Three hundred runners will be using the virtual coach for the NYC Half. The entry level version costs 65 dollars, and an updated version will be available in April for the ING New York City Marathon.
And while long distance runners often just hope to finish, John hopes his program will help runners really go the distance.
The New York City Half-Marathon goes 13.1 miles, and this year a record number of more than 15,000 runners will participate. The NYC Half will begin at 7:00 a.m. March 18, and will be broadcast live on WABC-TV, 7online and the New York Road Runners website.
For more information please visit: http://www.nyrr.org/get-training
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, new york city half marathon, new york city marathon, life & community, lauren glassberg
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 41 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Alleged serial bank robber nabbed in Greenwich Village 54 min ago
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos