Life & Community
Olympian Bernard Lagat to run the NYC Half
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Bernard Lagat, five-time world champion and two-time Olympian, will take on the longest race of his career in his half-marathon debut at the NYC Half next month.
"We are simply thrilled to host Bernard Lagat, one of the greatest runners our sport has ever seen, in his debut at the half-marathon distance," said New York Road Runners president and CEO Mary Wittenberg. "Bernard already has a storied history in New York City; he's inspired us with his dominance at the Wanamaker Mile and his perseverance at the Fifth Avenue Mile, racing year after year until he finally captured the crown. If he can win the NYC Half, he'll be the first winner of the Fifth Avenue Mile, the Wanamaker Mile and the NYC Half, a trifecta that would be just another indication of Bernard's talents and range."
The NYC Half is a 13.1 mile tour of Manhattan, through Central Park to Times Square, the Hudson River waterfront, and the finish in lower Manhattan.
Lagat won at the Millrose Games on February 16, reclaiming the American indoor record in the two-mile with a time of 8:09.49. He also recently ran 7:34.71 for 3000 meters in Karlsruhe, Germany.
"I'm excited to be running a half-marathon," said Lagat. "It's a big step up in distance, but I think I'll be well prepared. Of course, there's a bit of uncertainty, but that makes it exciting; the challenge is what really appeals to me," he added. "New York has been a great city for me for more than a decade. I'm proud of all those Wanamaker Mile wins, the record, running the Fifth Avenue Mile, and finally winning there in 2011. I'm really looking forward to the half-marathon next month; I've been planning for it during all my training this season."
NYRR's flagship half-marathon, in its eighth running, will air live Sunday, March 17 on Channel 7 from 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. It will also stream live on ESPN3 concurrently with the broadcast. NYRR's On the Run broadcast will air on www.nyrr.org at 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, March 15 and 16, with a post-race recap Sunday evening.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
nyc half, bernard lagat, new york city half marathon, new york city marathon, life & community
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad 58 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 59 min ago
- Bloomberg rides 7 train to station he helped build
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
7online News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos