Life & Community
Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott discusses fitness, running
NEW YORK -- You would expect to see this man encouraging high school students in Brooklyn, but NYC Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott also has something in common with them.
"I started one block run, and one run and gradually expanded it out," Walcott says.
What is surprising is that Chancellor walcott loved football growing up, but didn't start the sport of running until he was almost 60.
"The first mile is always the toughest, and then I'm in cruise control," adds Walcott.
Wolcott set a goal to run the New York City Marathon for his 60th birthday, which he did. Then he challenged himself to learn to swim, and completed a sprint triathlon. This weekend, Walcott runs the Staten Island ½, which is 13.1 miles. He is aiming to beat his personal best - 1 hour, 51 minutes.
"This year, training felt extremely strong, and I incorporated weights in the workout," says Walcott.
Walcott also knows it is a special race to raise students' spirits who will struggle after Superstorm Sandy.
"I was at a school yesterday in Staten Island, a number of the families are still displaced," he said.
Walcott believes fitness and running can be a source of and setting new personal goals can give individuals structure and purpose.
When Amy Freeze asked if Walcott would go for another New York City Marathon this year, he said 'I know, I'm boxed in, I'm boxed in!"
Officially, he is undecided, but he says running empowers him.
"It shows me anything is possible and limitless," says Walcott.
new york city marathon, new york city, nyc news, new york news, life & community, amy freeze
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 24 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 12 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
31 min ago