Prostate Cancer Resources
NEW YORK (WABC) -- One in six men will get prostate cancer during his lifetime.
You can help fight prostate cancer by participating in NYRR's Annual Father's Day Race Against Prostate Cancer or by raising money for the American Cancer Society.
Prostate cancer occurs when the DNA of a prostate cell changes. Possible risk factors include age, race, nationality, diet, genes, obesity, exercise, family history and prostate inflammation/infection.
There are two methods used to detect prostate cancer: The prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test, which measures proteins made by prostate cells, and the digital rectal exam (DRE).
Get much more information about prostate cancer from the American Cancer Society!
The American Cancer Society recommends that men "make an informed decision with their health care provider about whether to be tested for prostate cancer." Men shouldn't be tested unless they have received information about what is known and what is not known about the risks and possible benefits of prostate cancer testing.
There are more than 2 million prostate cancer survivors alive in the United States today. There are a variety of possible treatments for prostate cancer, including surgery, radiation therapy and more.
Links to more information:
- Get more information about the race!
- For more information about Prostate Cancer, please visit the John Theurer Cancer Center at Hackensack University Medical Center or the American Cancer Society
- Raise money for the American Cancer Society!
- The Prostate Net
- Well Blog(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
cancer, prostate cancer, seasonal
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 39 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
39 min ago