Protect Our Children: Healthy and Fit
NEW YORK -- There are few things in life more precious than a child's health. On Saturday, May 21st , WABC-TV aired a special entitled, "Protect Our Children: Healthy & Fit" examining the main health issues confronting children, to keep them alive, healthy and fit!
What should one do in the case of concussions or burn injuries? How can children learn healthy food habits early on, and are we subsidizing childhood obesity with our tax dollars? Diana Williams hosts this special that asks those questions and more.
You can watch the special in the video player above, and find links to resources and web extras here on 7online.com
We also address physical fitness and sports injuries that can be prevented. Special attention is paid to sudden Cardiac Arrest due to HCM, or Hypertrophic Cardio-myopathy, which is basically an enlarged heart & information on symptoms and prevention are key to survival.
The epidemic of childhood obesity in this country is featured with families and experts discussing how to deal with the issues of healthy diets and physical fitness. The program profiles a school that is proving successful in implementing a Wellness Initiative developed with the NYC Board of Education.
With warm weather ahead, accidental burn injuries can occur with young children prone to scalding burns and teens now facing dangers outdoors, with bonfires, barbecues and fire-pits. We also show a very disturbing new trend with youngsters now recording dangerous fire tricks in order to get themselves a few minutes of attention in cyberspace.
With sports now more aggressive and competitive, even professional athletes are admitting to the terrible after-effects they've endured from concussions. Sports like basketball and soccer do not require helmets & head trauma is a serious issue. The special addresses the issue of concussions in the athletic arena and what the testing and the treatment entail.
We also feature a new free program called Text4Baby that is using cell-phones and texting to help get pregnant and new mothers plus their infants off to a healthy start. When it comes to our children & their health, there is no such thing as starting too early.
"Protect our Children: Healthy & Fit" is the 14th in a series from WABC-TV. The campaign has been developed in collaboration with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC). The campaign includes informational safety messages, a web site and campaign that continues to broadcast the pictures of missing children in every Eyewitness News Program. The previous Specials have received four Emmy Awards, six "Gracie" Awards from the American Women in Radio-TV-Film (AWRT) and Awards from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, (NCMEC).
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 18 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 31 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 29 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
18 min ago