Developing a love to learn
NEW YORK -- As in all aspects of parenting, a child's academic success begins in the home.
School is not simply a day-time activity that simply begins and ends inside the walls of a building. It's an ongoing experience that evolves over time. The goal of this section is to provide parents and students -- regardless of grade level or age, a wide array of resources to use to become more involved his or her academic growth. Futhermore, it is our hope here at ABC7 to make the gift of your child's education a more interactive experience.
To get started, below you will find our favorite links to all sorts of information related to ensuring academic sucess for your child:
The blog posts of Shauntee Burns through the New York Public Library
Shauntee Burns, who serves as the outreach specialist for HomeworkNYC and Office of Education, Programming and Exhibitions, provides insightful content pertaining to a variety of educational topics that can benefit teachers, parents and students.
Dr. Rick's Blog from Sylvan Learning Centers
Dr. Richard E. Bavaria, the senior vice president for education outreach for Sylvan Learning, has a treasure trove of tips for parents when it comes to unlocking their student's true potential. The link above will send you to an entry titled, "Win the Homework War." A wide array of Dr. Rick's blogs can be found on the right side of the page.
Education Resources Information Center (ERIC)
Run through the U.S. Department of Education, ERIC is an online digital library of education research and information that can serve as a wonderful homework tool for students.
EDinformatics K-12 State Testing Resources
The site provides links to sample tests for standardized state exams across the country -- including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall