Watch the special, right here on 7online!
NEW YORK -- "Breast Cancer: New Options & New Promise" is hosted by Eyewitness News Anchor Diana Williams. This WABC-TV special features new treatment options and protocols that are improving the odds of surviving breast cancer.
Experts address the latest research that is promising better results at the same time that it is improving the quality of life for survivors. The Special features survivors sharing their personal stories and giving advice to others who are following in their footsteps.
The Special features the new option of freezing eggs that has just recently become available to survivors who do not want to lose fertility after chemo-therapy and radiation. Doctors speak of improvements in how radiation is being administered to avoid bad side effects on large breasted or heavy set women. A new procedure of Radio Frequency Ablation is also showing promise as a way to avoid repeated lumpectomies in the quest for clean margins after surgery.
The personal stories of survivors establish the importance of exercise and the importance of annual mammograms and self exams that specifically look for the visual signs of cancer, such as dimpling in the breast. Also addressed is the greater risk faced by women who have had prior radiation to the chest wall due to an earlier cancer. Researchers have good news on the battle against metastasized cancer which should add to the tremendous progress medicine is making in fighting this disease. At the American Cancer Society's Hope Lodge in NYC we meet a young woman fighting this courageous battle with metastasized cancer.
Experts featured include Doctors and researchers from Beth Israel Comprehensive Cancer Center, West Side Campus, Continuum Cancer Centers of New York, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, Albert Einstein Cancer Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Overlook Medical Center in NJ, Saint Barnabas Medical Center in NJ, American Cancer Society Hope Lodge Jerome L. Greene Family Center and Murray Hill Radiology.
This annual special is part of WABC-TV's continuing commitment to the Making Strides against Breast Cancer Campaign of the American Cancer Society. This is WABC TV's 17th year as media sponsors of the walk and we strongly urge our viewers to join us on October 16th for the Making Strides walks in our tri-state area.
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 37 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos