Back to School Guide: School Supplies
NEW YORK (WABC) -- We hope you and your kids had a good summer, because it's winding down. And that means one thing: It's back-to-school time!
It's time to tie up some loose ends, run some errands and get back into that routine.
And we want to help you get ready. We're calling it School Supplies, to supply you with all the information you need.
So to start off, rule number one for moms and dads - don't go alone. Take your kids with you!
"You want them to be excited about what they're buying, because otherwise they're going to come home and they're just not going to be into it," said Taryn Mohrman, of Parents.com. "Then you end up spending more money to get what your kid wants, in the end. So just have them come with you in the beginning and handle it that way."
Mohrman shops for a living and advises parents to have a list and budget. Then, put aside some money to buy the cool jeans or sneakers your kids suddenly will be dying for two months in. and be smart. There are great backpacks out there, but if your kids' book bags are in good shape, just throw them in the washer and update them with new charms or monograms.
"This is one of my all-time favorites, it's the bubble bag," Mohrman said. "There are so many colors and sizes to choose from. And when you're packing your child's bag for school, you want to make sure that it's not more than 10 percent of their body weight when it's fully loaded."
As for lunch boxes, be creative!
You have the old retro tin style, cloth bags that are easy to clean and others that resemble cute little characters your kids will love.
And little things can make a big difference. There are fossil erasers, doggie pencil cases and LEGO-inspired crayons.
To go out and get all this stuff (and none of it costs more than $50), go to Parents.com. They are also doing a giveaway, so you could win all of it for free.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
back to school guide, seasonal
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Day Parade
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament 17 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos