Back to School Guide: School Lunches
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Our School Supplies series continues with a focus on school lunches.
As parents, admit it, you're a bit of a negotiator with your kids sometimes. Do "this," and you can go to bed late. Don't do "that," and you can go play.
Your kids are negotiators, too, especially at lunch time, and especially if they don't like what you packed for lunch.
So what school lunches will your kids will NOT want to trade? One of the ways is a new twist on pizza.
"It's a 100 percent whole-grain sandwich thin with some cheese on it," said Amy Jamieson-Petonic, of the Cleveland Clinic. "And we threw some broccoli in just to get some extra vitamins and minerals in there."
For the youngsters, try using a sandwich that smiles back at them. Some dieticians suggest smothering it with hummus. And how about whole wheat pasta to look like the hair? Use blueberries for the eyes and carrots for the eyebrows or mouth.
That way, it's fun and good for your kids, too.
Try cookie cutters to slice out shapes into whole-grain breads and fruits, and toss in some yogurt for dipping, too. And on the side, try homemade sweet potato chips.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
back to school guide, seasonal
- Firefighters struggle to contain NJ forest fires
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Man brutalizes women with hammer in Astoria apartment
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers
- 9-year-old dies in fall from Bronx high-rise
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green