Fatal accident on the NYS Thruway
(New York - WABC, March 17, 2006) -- Three people in a mini van were killed in an accident on New York State Thruway in Tuxedo this morning, the latest in a string of fatal crashes on the roadway in Orange County.
News copter Seven was live over the scene.
The mini van was possibly broken down on the side of the roadway, just south of the Harriman toll plaza at exit 16, when it was slammed by the tanker . The force of the crash sent both vehicles off the road into a ditch.
Eyewitness News has learned three people in the mini van were pronounced dead. A fourth was left in "extremely critical, grave condition" and rushed by helicopter to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.
The tractor-trailer driver was taken by ambulance to Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern.
One northbound lane on the Thruway was open and two were closed. Southbound traffic on the Thruway was operating normally.
Two of the three northbound lanes were closed, causing a four-mile-long backup. Southbound lanes were open, but traffic was heavy.
On Wednesday, a three-year-old Staten Island girl was killed in a crash on the Thruway in Tuxedo that injured five others and snarled traffic for hours.
Officials say the section of the Thruway that runs through Orange and Ulster counties has had 62 fatalities in crashes from 1994 to 2003, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation statistics.
Today's crash is the seventh fatal accident between Harriman and Spring Valley in the past three years, according to the Thruway Authority.
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Child, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 21 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos