Fatal accident on 59th Street Bridge
(New York - WABC, April 21, 2006) (WABC) -- A driver was thrown to his death when his SUV crashed while taking a sharp curve on an entrance ramp to the Queensboro Bridge in Long Island City.
Newscopter Seven was above the scene.
Police say the 25-year-old man was ejected from his white 2003 Honda Pilot when it crashed into the left wall of the Manhattan-bound ramp just before 4 a.m.
Eyewitness News has learned he was thrown 30 feet to the parking lot of the Silvercup Studios at 42-22 22nd Street, where he was pronounced dead.
Two other passengers in the SUV were taken to Elmhurst Hospital in stable condition.
Authorities closed the Thompson Avenue ramp to the upper level of the bridge to investigate the accident, causing delays.
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- Photos: A look back at the 1964 World's Fair
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos