Fatal accident on 59th Street Bridge
(New York - WABC, April 21, 2006) (WABC) -- A driver was thrown to his death when his SUV crashed while taking a sharp curve on an entrance ramp to the Queensboro Bridge in Long Island City.
Newscopter Seven was above the scene.
Police say the 25-year-old man was ejected from his white 2003 Honda Pilot when it crashed into the left wall of the Manhattan-bound ramp just before 4 a.m.
Eyewitness News has learned he was thrown 30 feet to the parking lot of the Silvercup Studios at 42-22 22nd Street, where he was pronounced dead.
Two other passengers in the SUV were taken to Elmhurst Hospital in stable condition.
Authorities closed the Thompson Avenue ramp to the upper level of the bridge to investigate the accident, causing delays.
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 48 min ago
- Woman tries to abduct baby from nanny in Chelsea 7 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 57 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster