ABC7 Traffic Center
Whitestone Bridge reopens after sign collapse
QUEENS (WABC) -- A truck took down a sign on the Bronx Whitestone Bridge in Queens, closing the bridge in both directions. for hours.
A boon truck driven by a MTA Bridges and Tunnels contractor struck an overhead gantry sign on the Queensbound (southbound) plaza of the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge near the Queens anchorage, officials said.
The impact took down the sign and the gantry, the metal system that supports signs, blocking all five lanes (three southbound and two north bound, or Bronx-bound lanes, and closing the bridge in both directions.
The truck, which has a crane attached to the back, was traveling near the Queens anchorage when it struck the sign.
Two contractors suffered minor injuries and were taken to New York City Hospital of Queens (formerly Booth Memorial).
All traffic was diverted to the Throgs Neck and Robert F. Kennedy bridges.
The bridge reopened just after 7:00 p.m.
Alpha has been an MTA Bridges and Tunnels contractor since 2008. They were hired to paint the Queens and Bronx towers at the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
SEND TIP OR PHOTO || REPORT TYPO || GET WIDGET
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
abc7 traffic center
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 55 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
14 min ago