ABC7 Traffic Center
Traffic moving again on Throgs Neck Bridge
THROGS NECK BRIDGE (WABC) -- A traffic nightmare for commuters started at 5:00 Friday morning.
The southbound lanes into Queens reopened early in the afternoon, but the other side of the Throgs Neck Bridge remained closed for hours longer.
Two lanes into the Bronx did not reopen until after 6:00 p.m. In addition, the Bronx-bound Cross Island Parkway ramp has been closed for safety reasons to avoid a hazardous merge around the closed lane.
One lane will remain closed into the Bronx indefinitely and no trucks will be allowed over the northbound side.
The Cross Island Parkway's northbound ramp that connects to the bridge is shut for the weekend.
All trucks should stay off the Clear View Expressway, officials said. If any trucks inadvertently get on, they will be diverted at Willets Point
A fire under the bridge just before morning rush hour traffic caused the mess.
Trouble began when scaffolding used for a construction project on the Throgs Neck caught fire, stopping traffic in both directions and preventing Queens or Bronx bound travelers from doing anything.
"I've been stuck for an hour. It usually takes me 15 minutes to get to work," one driver complained.
No question a jam like this one tests your patience-.
FDNY took to the water to tackle the blaze using fireboats.
Once they put out the fire, the bridge remained closed all morning long in both directions. Many drivers got stuck again taking a suggested alternate route to the Whitestone Bridge even 9 hours after fire that stopped everybody in sight.
The bridge connects the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx with the Bayside section of Queens. It was opened in 1961 and was built to relieve traffic on the adjacent Whitestone Bridge.
The cause of the fire has not been determined.
NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS
METRO TRAFFIC || REPORT TYPO || SEND TIP OR PHOTO
EYEWITNESS TWITTER || FIND US ON FACEBOOK
abc7 traffic center, emily smith
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos