ABC7 Traffic Center
Emergency bridge repair on Route 1 in NJ
NORTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. (WABC) -- The state Department of Transportation says emergency repairs to a Route 1 bridge in North Brunswick are not expected to be completed until Thursday.
Northbound motorists experienced delays of more than five miles during Tuesday evening's rush hour.
Transportation department spokesman Tim Greeley said the delays were caused when a support pillar on a bridge under construction at College Farm Road shifted Tuesday afternoon.
The situation forced officials to close the northbound lanes and detour traffic onto an adjacent access road.
Officials orderede a full structural evaluation of the bridge, which should be completed on Wednesday.
The northbound lanes were expected to be closed until Thursday at 8:00 p.m. because of the repairs.
Motorists who normally use Route 1 northbound are urged to seek an alternate route.
DOT said the southbound side is not impacted by the problem.
new jersey, north brunswick, abc7 traffic center
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 40 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 37 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos