ABC7 Traffic Center
Part of I-84 reopens after snow storm closure
EAST FISHKILL (WABC) -- Hundreds if not thousands of trucks were stranded on Interstate 84 for hours, and some could remain there for up to 24 hours.
The problems started Thursday night around 11:00 with a couple of accidents that blocked the road.
Snowplows couldn't get through. As cars and trucks idled, the more entrenched they became.
State police and emergency crews used snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles to reach stranded motorists in a region that has received as much as 31 inches from the second storm to hit New York this week.
I-84 between Exit 6 west of the Hudson River in Orange County and Exit 21 near the Connecticut border was reopened in both directions shortly before noon Friday, about five hours after it was closed. But, problems continued as many trucks remained stuck, unable to make u-turns on the highway.
In the event of an emergency, breakdown or minor accident, authorities advised motorists not to stop within or near travel lanes. If the vehicle can be driven, motorists should travel to the nearest exit or safe location. If the vehicle is inoperable, motorists should activate four-way flashers and stay inside the vehicle until authorized personnel arrive to provide assistance. In an event of an emergency, motorists are advised to call either 1-800-842-2233 or 911 to report the situation. Travelers should never walk along the roadway.
Motorists may also receive up-to-date road condition information by calling toll-free 1-800-THRUWAY (1-800-847-8929) or logging onto www.nysthruway.gov .The Thruway's TDD/TTY number for the hearing impaired is 1-800-253-6244. Road conditions for highways across New York State, including the Thruway, can be found at www.511ny.org.
Additionally, the Authority offers a free email service called TRANSalert to its customers to inform them of major unscheduled incidents that may affect their travel on the Thruway. For more information visit www.nysthruway.gov.
snow storm, snow, dutchess county, abc7 traffic center, marcus solis
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 5 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 14 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 22 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
1 min ago