ABC7 Traffic Center
Boring for new 2nd Avenue subway begins
UPPER EAST SIDE (WABC) -- Sixty-two feet beneath the Upper East Side workers are building the Second Avenue subway.
On Friday, a mammoth drill began to dig the tunnels.
Even macho sandhogs stood in awe. The behemoth tunnel boring machine is 450 feet long with a 200-ton cutter head that churns through 50 feet of rock a day. It will help create a subway line to relieve overcrowding on the Lexington line, the most crowded in the nation.
"Many years ago, people made a mistake. They left the East Side of New York with one subway line. It has taken us decades, multiple generations, to be able to do what we're doing today," MTA CEO Jay Walder said.
When complete, the Second Avenue subway line will include 16 new stations and run trains from 125th Street to Hanover Square in the financial district.
A new train, the T, will run this route as will the Q train, which currently starts in Coney Island and goes to 7th Avenue at 57th Street.
But we're still in the early stages of the project. First, the dig.
For many involved, the project's personal.
"This is why I decided to take the job, because I felt hat this was one way I could contribute to the future of New York," Michael Horodniceanu, president of MTA Capital Construction, said.
"That is definitely a source of pride for us. Later in life, getting to look back and say we did that," sandhog Jay Ward said.
If this massive project stays on track, passengers could be riding the Second Avenue subway by 2016.
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center, jamie roth
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 49 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 50 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 8 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
46 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
49 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos