ABC7 Traffic Center
Painful MTA service cuts take effect
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was a different and longer commute for millions of New Yorkers Monday morning.
The V and W subway lines have been eliminated, along with dozens of bus routes.
The budget disaster in Albany has led the MTA to slash service across the city. And those cuts took effect Monday.
Late last week, angry straphangers staged a mock funeral for their local subway lines.
The elimination of the two lines, among the so-called Doomsday budget plans enacted by the MTA as it struggles to fill a stunning $800 million budget gap.
Starting Monday, the W and V will be consolidated into other lines, like the M, N and G, now extended and rerouted to pick up some of the slack.
Other trains will run with fewer cars and less often, especially at night and over the weekend. And millions of commuters will wait precious extra time between trains.
And cuts aren't limited to straphangers underground. The MTA is eliminating 37 bus routes across the five boroughs. And if it all isn't painful enough, the agency recently backed away from another cost-saving plan to cut free Metrocards for students.
It is good news for them, but at a meeting last week, MTA board members wondered how they would pay for that.
"What are we going to eventually come down to?" board member Andrew Albert asked. "A train or two an hour and a $10 fare? We're in the service business. I'm just amazed that more people aren't screaming about this."
Maybe they will when the fares go up an estimated 7.5 percent in 2011. And that number could rise even higher. The MTA is expected to take up the issue of fare hikes in July.
CLICK HERE for a full list of the changes.
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center, josh einiger
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 42 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid 27 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos