ABC7 Traffic Center
Painful MTA service cuts take effect
NEW YORK (WABC) -- It was a different and longer commute for millions of New Yorkers Monday morning.
The V and W subway lines have been eliminated, along with dozens of bus routes.
The budget disaster in Albany has led the MTA to slash service across the city. And those cuts took effect Monday.
Late last week, angry straphangers staged a mock funeral for their local subway lines.
The elimination of the two lines, among the so-called Doomsday budget plans enacted by the MTA as it struggles to fill a stunning $800 million budget gap.
Starting Monday, the W and V will be consolidated into other lines, like the M, N and G, now extended and rerouted to pick up some of the slack.
Other trains will run with fewer cars and less often, especially at night and over the weekend. And millions of commuters will wait precious extra time between trains.
And cuts aren't limited to straphangers underground. The MTA is eliminating 37 bus routes across the five boroughs. And if it all isn't painful enough, the agency recently backed away from another cost-saving plan to cut free Metrocards for students.
It is good news for them, but at a meeting last week, MTA board members wondered how they would pay for that.
"What are we going to eventually come down to?" board member Andrew Albert asked. "A train or two an hour and a $10 fare? We're in the service business. I'm just amazed that more people aren't screaming about this."
Maybe they will when the fares go up an estimated 7.5 percent in 2011. And that number could rise even higher. The MTA is expected to take up the issue of fare hikes in July.
CLICK HERE for a full list of the changes.
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center, josh einiger
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines