ABC7 Traffic Center
MTA may keep unlimited Metrocards, but...
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fare hike is coming in January. The questions -- how much and how the monthly MetroCard might change?
Eyewitness News has learned the MTA is now looking at two options on how to raise more money.
One option would limit a 30 day card to 90 rides and it would cost 99 dollars instead of the current 89.
Another option would keep a 30 day MetroCard unlimited on the number of rides, but the cost would go up even more to 104 dollars.
"I am opposed to removing unlimited cards. I think it's a New York thing now. It's a way of life. People are used to not having to check how many rides they have left if they've purchased a weekly or a monthly," MTA Board Member Andrew Albert said.
The MTA is grappling with both an economic downturn and cuts from Albany.
It is 400-million in the red right now. One way or another, riders face the fare hike in January.
"I think it's terrible because the service is so poor to begin with," rider Susan Cohen said.
"I'm looking for a job right now, so I'm unemployed. It does hurt at this time. I think they should reconsider," Anthony McDade said.
Eyewitness News has also learned the MTA is also looking at doing away with one day and 14 day MetroCards.
The agency is trying to tweak the number of discounts and rides - anything to raise more money.
"A fare hike is a fare hike is a fare hike," Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said. "What they're doing here is trying to raise the fares. And we think it's a mistake."
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos