ABC7 Traffic Center
MTA may keep unlimited Metrocards, but...
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A fare hike is coming in January. The questions -- how much and how the monthly MetroCard might change?
Eyewitness News has learned the MTA is now looking at two options on how to raise more money.
One option would limit a 30 day card to 90 rides and it would cost 99 dollars instead of the current 89.
Another option would keep a 30 day MetroCard unlimited on the number of rides, but the cost would go up even more to 104 dollars.
"I am opposed to removing unlimited cards. I think it's a New York thing now. It's a way of life. People are used to not having to check how many rides they have left if they've purchased a weekly or a monthly," MTA Board Member Andrew Albert said.
The MTA is grappling with both an economic downturn and cuts from Albany.
It is 400-million in the red right now. One way or another, riders face the fare hike in January.
"I think it's terrible because the service is so poor to begin with," rider Susan Cohen said.
"I'm looking for a job right now, so I'm unemployed. It does hurt at this time. I think they should reconsider," Anthony McDade said.
Eyewitness News has also learned the MTA is also looking at doing away with one day and 14 day MetroCards.
The agency is trying to tweak the number of discounts and rides - anything to raise more money.
"A fare hike is a fare hike is a fare hike," Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said. "What they're doing here is trying to raise the fares. And we think it's a mistake."
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 51 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 56 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 54 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
51 min ago