ABC7 Traffic Center
Normal morning commute on rails after derailment
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- NJ Transit trains have resumed normal service to and from New York's Penn Station.
Spokesman Dan Stessel says service was restored just before 5 a.m. Tuesday, nearly 17 hours after a derailment kept trains from using nine tracks.
Two cars of a Midtown Direct train carrying 300 people went off the tracks at 10:50 a.m. Monday. No one was injured.
Commuters faced crowded conditions in and out of New York on Monday night.
PATH trains and NJ Transit buses honored NJ Transit passes.
New Jersey Transit said all customers on the derailed train were safely detrained and walked to the station where they were re-accommodated accordingly.
Both cars of the derailed train were rerailed and track repairs followed.
It took some time to get a crane to the scene to rerail the train cars. The first one was rerailed at around 3 p.m. Monday, and the second one at 7 p.m.
The derailment caused such a big mess because of where it happened. The train blocked access by NJT, LIRR and Amtrak to half of the tracks at Penn Station. Tracks 1-10 were not accessible, so all three had to use tracks 11-21.
That forced some trains to be combined during the evening commute.
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS TO ADD TO THIS STORY? CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THEM TO IWITNESS.7ONLINE.COM, OR E-MAIL THEM TO IWITNESS@WABC.COM
mass transit, new jersey transit, long island railroad, amtrak, path, abc7 traffic center
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos