ABC7 Traffic Center
Deadly accident on the Cross Bronx Expressway
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A truck driver was killed after his tractor trailer broke down on the Cross Bronx Expressway this afternoon.
Police said the tractor trailer broke down in the eastbound lanes of the expressway in Manhattan near Amsterdam Avenue just before you would cross over to the Bronx on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge.
The driver pulled over the truck so he was half in the shoulder and half in the right lane.
When he got out of the truck, a passing SUV struck and killed him.
That vehicle stayed at the scene.
As a result, the Cross Bronx eastbound remained closed in Washington Heights into the evening rush hour.
All eastbound (NYC-bound) traffic coming over the GWB was detoured onto 178th Street. The detour went across 178th street, up Amsterdam Avenue to 181st Street and then back onto the Cross Bronx Expressway. (CLICK HERE FOR LIVE TRAFFIC CAM)
Inbound delays at the GWB were up to 90 minutes during rush hour. The westbound Cross Bronx was backed up to the New England Thruway, which is almost 5 miles.
accident, manhattan, new york city, cross bronx expressway, washington heights, abc7 traffic center
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos