ABC7 Traffic Center
Deadly accident on the Cross Bronx Expressway
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS (WABC) -- A truck driver was killed after his tractor trailer broke down on the Cross Bronx Expressway this afternoon.
Police said the tractor trailer broke down in the eastbound lanes of the expressway in Manhattan near Amsterdam Avenue just before you would cross over to the Bronx on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge.
The driver pulled over the truck so he was half in the shoulder and half in the right lane.
When he got out of the truck, a passing SUV struck and killed him.
That vehicle stayed at the scene.
As a result, the Cross Bronx eastbound remained closed in Washington Heights into the evening rush hour.
All eastbound (NYC-bound) traffic coming over the GWB was detoured onto 178th Street. The detour went across 178th street, up Amsterdam Avenue to 181st Street and then back onto the Cross Bronx Expressway. (CLICK HERE FOR LIVE TRAFFIC CAM)
Inbound delays at the GWB were up to 90 minutes during rush hour. The westbound Cross Bronx was backed up to the New England Thruway, which is almost 5 miles.
accident, manhattan, new york city, cross bronx expressway, washington heights, abc7 traffic center
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 35 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 17 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving 25 min ago
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 32 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
35 min ago