ABC7 Traffic Center
Dozens injured in Lincoln Tunnel accident
NEW YORK (WABC) -- A collision involving three buses and a motorcycle in the Lincoln Tunnel injured dozens and made a mess of the commute.
The accident happened inside the center tube of inbound tunnel just before 7:30 a.m.
The New York City Fire Department says the motorcycle rider was taken to Bellevue Hospital in critical condition. He was pinned underneath a bus and suffered a broken shoulder and broken femur.
In all, officials say 52 people suffered injuries. Fourteen people went to the hospital, but none of the injuries were considered serious.
Passengers on the bus were not seriously hurt, but were going to be checked out.
Buses and some cars began entering the south tube of the Lincoln Tunnel just after 8:00 a.m. Delays continued for hours. The center tube re-opened just after 1:00 p.m.
The accident also impacted bus commuters as service to/from Port Authority Bus Terminal was subject to hour long delays. Some buses were diverted to Secaucus Junction Rail.
NJ Transit trains cross-honored bus tickets to and from NY Penn Station Newark.
The accident remains under investigation.
new york city, lincoln tunnel, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 38 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos