ABC7 Traffic Center
Lincoln Tunnel reopens after tractor-trailer crash
HOBOKEN (WABC) -- A tractor-trailer hauling trash and medical waste overturned in Weehawken Friday morning, closing the helix to outbound Lincoln Tunnel traffic for more than six hours.
Authorities say the driver lost control and flipped the trash hauler between the Lincoln Tunnel and Pleasant Avenue, just before 5:30 a.m.
When police examined the trash that spilled from the tractor trailer onto the roadway, they noticed medical waste mixed in the debris. Specialized crews had to be brought in to pick up the medical waste.
It took more than two hours to upright the tractor-trailer, and even longer to clean up the trash. The cause of the accident is under investigation.
The crash caused unexpectedly long delays for the morning commute.
Outbound New Jersey Transit buses, heading from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, were permitted to pass through the north side of the tunnel. They were delayed up to an hour during the morning commute.
NJ Transit trains are honoring bus passes to and from New York Penn Station.
Meanwhile, the outbound Lincoln Tunnel was closed to cars and trucks throughout the morning, finally reopening just before noon.
lincoln tunnel, abc7 traffic center
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos