ABC7 Traffic Center
MTA plans overnight 'fasttrack' subway repairs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The MTA is launching a bold subway repair plan. Instead of doing the work on the weekends, it is conducting repairs overnight. Major lines will be shut down, starting Monday night with the Lexington Avenue line.
The MTA is planning to knock out a lot of projects, from track maintenance to spot painting to power washing. They will also be repairing wall tiles, platforms and lighting. They are calling the series of repairs "Fasttrack," and they hope that straphangers will just grit their teeth and bear it.
Starting Monday, the 4, 5 and 6 lines will close from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., and will do that every night through Friday.
The MTA says this will allow crews to safely and quickly handle more than 300 repair jobs along 27 miles of track. But it will add at least 20 minutes to the average ride.
The closures will stretch from Grand Central Terminal to Atlantic Avenue. The 1, 2 and 3 lines from 34th Street to Atlantic Avenue will be next up, closing overnights from February 13 to February 17. The Sixth Avenue line, parts of the B, D, F and M from 59th Street to 4th Street, will be under repair in late February.
And the A, C and E lines will have overnight work in mid-March from 59th Street to Jay Street.
There will be conductors and traffic checkers at subway stations Monday to answer commuters' questions.
For more information please visit: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack.htm
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mass transit, mta, subway work, abc7 traffic center, darla miles
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife 11 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 31 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos