ABC7 Traffic Center
MTA plans overnight 'fasttrack' subway repairs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The MTA is launching a bold subway repair plan. Instead of doing the work on the weekends, it is conducting repairs overnight. Major lines will be shut down, starting Monday night with the Lexington Avenue line.
The MTA is planning to knock out a lot of projects, from track maintenance to spot painting to power washing. They will also be repairing wall tiles, platforms and lighting. They are calling the series of repairs "Fasttrack," and they hope that straphangers will just grit their teeth and bear it.
Starting Monday, the 4, 5 and 6 lines will close from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m., and will do that every night through Friday.
The MTA says this will allow crews to safely and quickly handle more than 300 repair jobs along 27 miles of track. But it will add at least 20 minutes to the average ride.
The closures will stretch from Grand Central Terminal to Atlantic Avenue. The 1, 2 and 3 lines from 34th Street to Atlantic Avenue will be next up, closing overnights from February 13 to February 17. The Sixth Avenue line, parts of the B, D, F and M from 59th Street to 4th Street, will be under repair in late February.
And the A, C and E lines will have overnight work in mid-March from 59th Street to Jay Street.
There will be conductors and traffic checkers at subway stations Monday to answer commuters' questions.
For more information please visit: http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack.htm
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mass transit, mta, subway work, abc7 traffic center, darla miles
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged 38 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 20 min ago
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 17 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing 31 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Third grader hit and killed by truck,...
38 min ago