ABC7 Traffic Center
Gas leak causing delays at Holland Tunnel
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The Holland Tunnel is open again Tuesday morning after a gas leak shut down the westbound tube.
Officials were venting the tunnel, but heavy delays were reported.
Construction workers excavating the site of a former diner struck a gas main in Jersey City, briefly forcing the closure.
The worker was digging a large hole when he struck a 1-inch main at the 14th Street site just before 10 a.m. PSE&G workers quickly responded and shut off the gas line.
New Jersey-bound lanes of the Holland Tunnel were temporarily closed while the main was capped.
The construction site was the former home of the Tunnel Diner, a landmark eatery that appeared in the 1996 film "City Hall." It closed in 2007 and was demolished after failing to attract a buyer.
The Holland Tunnel reopened around 10:30 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
holland tunnel, new york city, jersey city, new jersey, abc7 traffic center
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid 48 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado 31 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack 15 min ago
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Anthony Weiner launches NYC mayoral bid
7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
48 min ago
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma...
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos