ABC7 Traffic Center
Oil near 9-month high after Greece debt deal
SINGAPORE -- Oil traded close to a nine-month high near $105 a barrel Tuesday in Asia after European leaders agreed to lend Greece ¬130 billion ($170 billion) to avoid a debt default.
Benchmark crude was up $1.61 to $104.85 per barrel at late afternoon Singapore time in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. On Monday it traded at $105.44, the highest since May. The contract last settled on Friday when it rose 93 cents to $103.24 per barrel in New York.
Brent crude was up 15 cents at $120.20 per barrel in London.
U.S. markets were closed Monday for the Presidents Day holiday.
European Union officials agreed early Tuesday to hand Greece a second massive bailout to help save it from bankruptcy. Private bondholders will take a 53.5 percent loss on their holdings which, along with tough austerity measures, is hoped will lower Greece's debt level to about 120 percent of gross domestic product.
Crude has jumped from $96 earlier this month and $75 in October as signs of an improving U.S. economy bolstered investor confidence. However, analysts are concerned higher fuel costs could stifle consumer spending and undercut economic growth.
"A significant run-up in oil prices are an important contributor to an economic malaise," energy trader and consultant The Schork Group said in a report. "With the U.S. economy starting to show signs of life, high prices now just might kill this recovery in the cradle."
In other energy trading, heating oil added 2.1 cents to $3.20 per gallon and gasoline futures rose 2.5 cents to $3.21 per gallon. Natural gas slid 4.0 cents to $2.64 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
gas prices, travel, abc7 traffic center
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 4 min ago
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 5 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos