ABC7 Traffic Center
$5 a gallon gas soon?
NEW YORK (WABC) -- For those of you who drive, the pain at the pump is getting worse.
The national average, now $3.68, up a dollar from Saturday, according to AAA.
The average price in New York City has topped at $4.02.
Drivers are paying $3.93 in Connecticut, and a much lower $3.58 in New Jersey.
On Sunday, lawmakers are scrambling for a money-saving solution.
Drivers are feeling the pinch and some say what feels like a punch at the pump.
Motorists could soon see $5 a gallon.
And analysts warn this upcoming season could be record-breaking.
The problem got a lot of air time Sunday morning on national morning talk shows.
The likely reasons behind the hike: tensions with Iran, growing gas demand from Asia and South America and natural disasters.
"The number one issue on the lips of new Yorkers is the sky rocketing price of gasoline," Senator Charles Schumer said.
That's why lawmakers including Senator Schumer are taking center stage and coming up with solutions.
"We certainly need long term solutions mainly to reduce our dependence on overseas oil but there's something we can do in the short term," Sen. Schumer said.
Senator Schumer is calling on the Arab League and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to get the Saudi government, with its excess capacity, to promise to replace every barrel of oil the Iranians take off the market.
He argues the price would drop immediately.
"The number one reason the prices are going up so steeply in the last few weeks is because the markets fear the iranians will cut off oil and in anticipation the prices as shot up. Iran is using oil as a weapon against the U.S. and the West," Sen. Schumer said.
Schumer says the Saudi's extra capacity is more than Iran's total production. He believes they have the power to ease this pain at the pump.
"It's time for the Saudi's they've done this before to break clean of OPEC and do it themselves. It's in their interest and all the other countries who want lower gas prices and peace," Sen. Schumer said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
gas prices, travel, abc7 traffic center
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos