ABC7 Traffic Center
Holland Tunnel repair work planned
NEW YORK (WABC) -- There will be more work planned for this weekend at the Holland Tunnel as crews retexture the roadway.
The Holland Tunnel's north tube, which handles traffic going from New York to New Jersey, will be closed for re-texturing this weekend from 1 a.m. to 8 a.m. on Saturday, April 21 and on Sunday, April 22.
There will be no street closings in New York or New Jersey during these work periods in order to provide detour routes for all traffic.
Customers traveling to New Jersey during the north tube closure Saturday, April 21, and Sunday, April 22, will be diverted from the Varick Street approaches to Canal Street West down to West Street North or Hudson Street North, and advised to use the Lincoln Tunnel as their route back into New Jersey. Hudson Street traffic will be directed northbound. As with the south tube, each approach in New York City will have barricades, arrow boards and police personnel and vehicles on post.
Re-texturing is primarily done to improve the skid resistance on the tunnel's road surface, thereby enhancing road safety by minimizing the risks of a wet road surface. The work also will include cleaning grease residue and contaminants to make the roadway safer and restore its surface.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
holland tunnel, abc7 traffic center
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Police investiate possible bias attack on Broadway
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Photos: Most Wanted: Yonkers Police Department