ABC7 Traffic Center
LIRR banning alcohol on overnight weekend trains
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Forget the BYOB on the LIRR at the midnight hour.
Starting this weekend, the Long Island Rail Road is banning alcohol on overnight weekend trains out of Penn Station.
The pilot program is an effort to curb disorderly passengers and attacks on train crew members.
It will affect all trains out of Penn Station between midnight and 5 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
Officials say attacks on LIRR train crews have been on the rise. Six attacks were reported last year, the highest in at least five years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, long island railroad, abc7 traffic center
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 39 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice 37 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 44 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash