ABC7 Traffic Center
Crime statistics show subway felonies on the rise
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Riding the subway appears to be getting more dangerous in New York City. The MTA on Monday reported a sharp rise in thefts over the past year.
According to the NYPD, the recent crime statistics show that crime on the subway is up. We haven't seen a level like this since 2005.
The news is both frightening and sobering.
The statistics, released Monday morning at an MTA subcommittee meeting, show that a lot of the increases involve stolen electronics. There has been an 11 percent increase felonies in April when compared to April of 2011. In addition, so far this year, there has been a 15.3 percent increase in felony crimes, also compared to 2011.
They are stunning numbers in a city in which overall crime is down.
NYPD Chief Joseph Fox says most of the increase is from the theft of iPads, iPods, iPhones and iTouches. He says the criminals target sleeping passengers.
Police recently busted a man with 21 prior arrests in the act.
"He was going through the victim's pockets when the officers immediately moved in to arrest him," Fox said. "And upon a search after the arrest, he was found to be in possession of four razor blades, as well as an iPhone, credit cards and an iTouch."
Another suspect with more than 40 prior arrests was also taken into custody.
MTA officials want to track the suspects so they can see how they are dealt with in court.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, subway crime, abc7 traffic center
- Man hacked to death in apparent terror attack 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb? 50 min ago
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral for Hofstra student accidentally shot by police
- Oklahoma tornado damage toll mounting
- Roosevelt Island Peace Officers accused of abusing power 25 min ago
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale 6 min ago
- Jose Canseco investigated for Las Vegas sex assault
- Hats get women ejected from mall 5 min ago
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma