ABC7 Traffic Center
Long Island Rail Road expands quiet car program
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- Riding the Long Island Rail Road in and out of New York City may be a little more relaxing now that the rail line is expanding its quiet car program.
More riders got the silent treatment beginning Monday morning.
Now, all rush hour single-level trains to and from Penn Station and the Atlantic Terminal will have a car where loud conversations, phone calls and even loud earphones will be out of place.
The quiet cars program launched in December on the Far Rockaway branch. Earlier this year, it was expanded to the Long Beach, Hempstead and West Hempstead branches.
Metro-North is also experimenting with quiet cars, but not on this scale.
The Westernmost car on designated trains is the quiet car. That means that during the a.m. peak, the first car of the train is a quiet car. During the p.m. peak, the last car of the train is a quiet car.
The quiet car program is voluntary in nature. Conductors in designated cars will hand out special "shh" cards to customers who are non-compliant.
In the event of a service disruption or if a train is operating with a reduced number of cars, the LIRR will be unable to designate a quiet car. Bi-level trains are also not involved in this phase of the program.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy 8 min ago
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 47 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend 32 min ago
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos