ABC7 Traffic Center
10 hurt as wrong-way crash shuts down Belt Parkway
BROOKLYN (WABC) -- A wrong-way driver smashed into another vehicle on the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn Tuesday morning, causing a chain reaction-crash that injured 10 people.
The three-vehicle crash happened around 6:15 a.m. near exit 5, the Bay Parkway exit.
Authorities say 30-year-old Henry Brimsley, of Staten Island, was driving eastbound when authorities suspect he saw a police officer and made a U-turn on the highway.
He apparently drove his 2000 Honda Accord westbound at a high rate of speed in the eastbound lanes.
Brimsley crashed head on into an oncoming van with seven occupants. The force of the collision propelled the van into a Nissan sedan with two occupants.
All nine people in the other two vehicles sustained non-life threatening injuries and were treated at Coney Island Hospital and Maimonides Medical Center.
Brimsely was treated for a broken leg at Lutheran Medical Center.
He was charged with reckless endangerment, aggravated unlicensed operator of a vehicle and speeding violations.
The crashed caused massive traffic delays for the morning commute. Eastbound lanes were completely closed for 90 minutes while authorities investigated. Two westbound lanes were also closed.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
accident, brooklyn, wrong way driver, abc7 traffic center
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 17 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos