ABC7 Traffic Center
B, D, F, Q, N, R train service restored after fire
NEW YORK (WABC) -- B, D, F, Q, N, R train service has been restored with delays between Manhattan to Brooklyn after an apparent cable fire in a subway tunnel north of the DeKalb Avenue train station in Downtown Brooklyn.
The DeKalb Avenue station is a hub, which is why so many trains were affected.
It was so hot, so smoky down there, that some firefighters were overcome by it, needed oxygen when they got out, and all of them needed to cool off after a fire ripped through the afternoon rush hour.
It seemed like everyone was trying to get somewhere they couldn't.
Every line that connects Brooklyn and Manhattan was affected, a couple of them closed down, so it was a mess during the busiest part of the day.
The MTA had people outside the closed stations to give advice on rerouting, which didn't really make people any happier.
Brooklyn bound commuters couldn't get out and Manhattan bound commuters couldn't get in.
All the while, firefighters were battling a blaze that was so deep in the tunnel, they could barely see.
Fire marshalls are investigating to determine if the fire was intentionally set.
The commute for Wednesday morning should be back to normal.
For more information go to http://www.mta.info/
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
brooklyn, manhattan, fire, subway, abc7 traffic center, jim dolan
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos