ABC7 Traffic Center
Hunt continues for Bayonne Bridge hit-and-run driver
BAYONNE (WABC) -- Police are still searching for the driver who was involved in an accident on the Bayonne Bridge and then stole a car and fled the scene early Friday.
The three-car crash closed down all lanes of the span, which connects Bayonne with Staten Island, for the entire Friday morning commute. The bridge reopened around 11 a.m..
Port Authority police say the suspect was initially driving a Staten Island-bound burgundy Ford van that crossed the median on the bridge and crashed head-on into a New Jersey-bound Volkswagon Passat.
When a Good Samaritan from Staten Island stopped and got out of his black Dodge 1500 pickup to offer assistance, the driver of the Ford van stole the pickup truck and sped off.
The driver and passenger in the Volkswagon were taken by ambulance to Richmond University Medical Center on Staten Island with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
A female passenger suffered lacerations to her head, while the male driver sustained lacerations to his left arm.
The suspect is described only as a man about 5-foot-6. The getaway vehicle was found abandoned on Staten Island.
No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bayonne, staten island, abc7 traffic center
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 19 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 18 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 8 min ago