ABC7 Traffic Center
NJ Turnpike reopens after deadly crash
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- One person is dead in a fiery accident that closed a major portion of the New Jersey Turnpike in Mercer County for hours.
But transportation officials say one westbound lane of the Interstate 195 overpass will be closed for up to six weeks because of damage from the crash.
Traffic in both directions had been diverted following the crash, which occurred just before 10 a.m. Wednesday in Washington Township. Authorities say a dump truck overturned and burst into flames near Interchange 7A, killing the driver.
He was believed to be a 49-year-old man from Belleville, but his name has not been released.
State police reopened northbound lanes late in the afternoon.
The southbound turnpike traffic remained closed until after 6:00 p.m.
Interstate 195 was shuttered in both directions after the crash because the truck struck the Interstate 195 overpass. Westbound traffic on I-195 was still being diverted at Exit 7 Wednesday night, but eastbound lanes were open.
Officials say morning commutes on I-195 toward Trenton are expected to be "very difficult" and motorists should expect delays and seek alternate routes.
Overpass traffic will use a new overpass currently under construction when it is completed.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey turnpike, abc7 traffic center
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 16 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 34 min ago
- Jersey City boil water advisory in effect after main break 23 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
16 min ago