ABC7 Traffic Center
Part of Brooklyn Battery Tunnel reopened for commuters
NEW YORK -- Part of the former Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel has reopened for automobile traffic as repairs continue on the major thoroughfare that was flooded by Superstorm Sandy two weeks ago.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo says Tuesday the eastern tube of the tunnel is open to car traffic both ways, except during rush hours when only one-way traffic is allowed. The western tube will remain closed for perhaps several weeks for extensive repair. Express bus service began this week, but no cars had been allowed since the tunnel suffered some of the worst of Sandy's flooding.
During the heavy-use periods, the eastern tube will be open from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. for Manhattan-bound cars and buses and from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. for Brooklyn-bound traffic. No trucks will be allowed at any time. Traffic will be restricted to one lane; the other lane will be used for express buses, as it has been the last few days.
The commuter tunnel, recently renamed the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel, connects Brooklyn to Manhattan under the mouth of the East River.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
hurricane, hurricane sandy, mass transit, new jersey transit, mta, long island railroad, metro north, abc7 traffic center
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 38 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 8 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 10 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 12 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull 41 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
6 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
12 min ago