ABC7 Traffic Center
Battery Park Underpass partially reopens
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- New York City is reopening of the Battery Park Underpass, which was flooded during the recent storm, to westbound bus traffic only during afternoon rush hour. Eastbound traffic will reopen fully on Wednesday.
The westbound lanes will be open from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The underpass will open (one lane) on Wednesday morning, November 14, at 6 a.m. to eastbound vehicles and remain open 24 hours in that direction, with the westbound direction reopening each day to buses only from 3-7 p.m. each day for the afternoon rush hour.
The underpass runs underneath Battery Park, carries traffic in two lanes in each direction, and joins the east and west sides of Manhattan by connecting the West Side Highway to the South Street Viaduct/FDR.
Approximately 230 buses use the underpass to get from the Hugh L. Carey Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the FDR in peak directions during both daily rush hours.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
hurricane sandy, abc7 traffic center
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 35 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 7 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 50 min ago
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 16 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
43 min ago