ABC7 Traffic Center
Battery Park Underpass partially reopens
LOWER MANHATTAN (WABC) -- New York City is reopening of the Battery Park Underpass, which was flooded during the recent storm, to westbound bus traffic only during afternoon rush hour. Eastbound traffic will reopen fully on Wednesday.
The westbound lanes will be open from 3:00 to 7:00 p.m.
The underpass will open (one lane) on Wednesday morning, November 14, at 6 a.m. to eastbound vehicles and remain open 24 hours in that direction, with the westbound direction reopening each day to buses only from 3-7 p.m. each day for the afternoon rush hour.
The underpass runs underneath Battery Park, carries traffic in two lanes in each direction, and joins the east and west sides of Manhattan by connecting the West Side Highway to the South Street Viaduct/FDR.
Approximately 230 buses use the underpass to get from the Hugh L. Carey Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the FDR in peak directions during both daily rush hours.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
hurricane sandy, abc7 traffic center
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card 24 min ago
- Man arrested in unprovoked Brooklyn subway platform assault 13 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 2 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos