ABC7 Traffic Center
MTA says South Ferry station destroyed by Sandy
SOUTH FERRY (WABC) -- Shuttered and silent, only haunting pictures of vast and unbelievable damage speaks to Sandy's destructive force and the repair and restoration work that must be accomplished.
"It wasn't wrecked. It was destroyed, top to bottom," MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota said.
It is a critical station in the system, one of the oldest and a lifeline for Staten Island Ferry commuters who must use other stations.
But getting this and many other damaged elements of the transportation infrastructure back to where it was the day before Sandy, which is the MTA's goal, comes with a nearly five-billion dollar price tag.
MTA and state officials are turning to FEMA and the federal government for the critical recovery funds.
"The flooding of the underground infrastructure is a major liability. It disables the region," New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said.
When commuters see even a portion of the water that filled and damaged this station they can only wonder when it might reopen. MTA officials stress it will take longer than most people think.
"It's going to take weeks to do an assessment, a detailed assessment, and months to do the restoration," NYC Transit President Tom Prendergast said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mass transit, south ferry, hurricane sandy, abc7 traffic center
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 54 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 7 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
10 min ago