ABC7 Traffic Center
Fare hikes coming for MTA riders
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The fare hike is not as bad as it could have been, but there's still plenty of grumbling out there.
"All these service changes, it's getting worse. I think the MTA is a corrupt organization," rider David Robinson said.
Glena Raymore Subway Rider 16:50
"I mean it's enough already. Why we gonna pay more? It's hard on us. We are in a recession, arent' we?" rider Glena Raymore said.
The base fare will go up 25 cents to $2.50 a ride.
A monthly MetroCard is set to increase by 8 dollars, going from $104 to $112.
A weekly MetroCard goes up to 30 dollars.
"I mean everybody's got to share in the burden of fare increases," MTA Board Member Allen Cappelli said.
Cappelli says the fire hike are designed to hit tourists more than the rest of us by keeping discounts whenever we put money on a MetroCard, so instead of eliminating those discounts they will be only be cut down from 7 to 5 percent on every purchase.
"We essentially wanted to come up with the balance or at least I didn't want to come up with a balance that doesn't penalize the most faithful users of the system too much," he said.
A fare hike's been planned for years now. Some subway riders said even with the hike, it's still a pretty good deal.
"I get good service out of it. It gets me to work on time and that's the cost of doing business," Adam Backstrom said.
Between now and the 19th, the MTA may tweak the fare hike a little bit more, but sources say it's basically a done deal. The fare hike takes effect in March.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center, dave evans
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 40 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 41 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
33 min ago