ABC7 Traffic Center
One dead in multi-vehicle crash on LIE in Suffolk County
UPTON (WABC) -- The Long Island Expressway shut down in both directions in Suffolk County because of a fiery, multiple vehicle accident that killed one and injured more than two dozen people.
Police say the accident happened near Exit 68 in Shirley at 2:40 p.m.
Raymond Simoneau, 42, of Rockingham, Vermont, was driving a tractor-trailer eastbound on the LIE when his vehicle struck a number of cars.
Following the initial collision, a chain-reaction crash occurred. A total of 35 vehicles were involved.
The tractor-trailer, which was carrying storm debris, and two additional vehicles caught fire and were extinguished by fire department personnel.
A Blue Point woman, 68, was driving a Toyota Camry eastbound on the LIE when her vehicle was involved in the crash.
The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
Approximately 33 people were injured and were transported to area hospitals including Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead, Brookhaven Memorial Hospital in East Patchogue, Stony Brook University Hospital and St. Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson.
At least one of those injured, a 57-year-old man, is in serious condition.
The Long Island Expressway is closed eastbound at exit 66 and westbound at exit 69. The road will be closed for several hours, officials said. Westbound traffic should be reopened in time for the Thursday morning rush.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 9 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 7 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
16 min ago