ABC7 Traffic Center
MTA expands bus service, offering new routes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- The MTA began rolling out its expanded bus service Sunday, offering New Yorkers dozens of new ways to get around the five boroughs.
The MTA is adding and extending around 40 bus routes citywide.
Service will be restored to some lines that were cut back in 2010, while several route extensions will help fill gaps in service for growing neighborhoods.
The MTA expects about 50,000 customers will benefit from the service improvements.
"We are here to provide mass transit service and that we are able to restore some earlier service cuts while at the same time extending service along several routes is great news for us to share," New York City Transit President Thomas Prendergast said. "These enhancements were all a result of listening to our customers and keeping close watch on changing travel trends."
The enhancements will take effect on two dates. The list is as follows:
Sunday, January 6 service restorations and enhancements:
Sunday, January 20, service restorations and enhancements:
In addition, NYC Transit is continuing to work with communities in order to develop new services to address transit needs in growing and changing neighborhoods. The following new services are planned for implementation later in 2013:
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
mta, mass transit, new york city transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center, darla miles
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97