ABC7 Traffic Center
NJ Transit resumes full service for 1st time since Sandy
NEWARK (WABC) -- New Jersey Transit has resumed full service into Manhattan for the first time since Superstorm Sandy hit.
"The full restoration of our New York Penn Station rail service marks another important milestone for NJ Transit and our customers, the majority of whom commute to and from Midtown Manhattan," executive director James Weinstein said. "Equally important is the progress we've made on the North Jersey Coast Line, which was among the hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy. Again, I cannot emphasize enough the tireless efforts made by our rail employees to restore service for our customers."
The North Jersey Coast Line is operating nine additional trains, restoring the line's service level to 96 percent of its pre-Sandy schedule. Two of the added trains will operate between Long Branch and New York Penn Station, while the remaining seven trains will either originate or terminate in Bay Head, with four of those trains resuming direct service between Bay Head and Hoboken Terminal.
Weekend service was restored to near pre-storm levels as of December 3rd.
Additional trains are as follows:
Customers are encouraged to review new timetables online at NJTransit.com.
Flooding from Hurricane Sandy and the resulting exposure to saltwater destroyed NJ Transit's Mason Substation in Hoboken, a critical component of the system's infrastructure that provides electric power for trains to operate into and out of Hoboken Terminal each day.
With no electric power available, diesel-powered trains have been substituted for electric-powered trains into and out of Hoboken, particularly along the Gladstone Branch of the Morris & Essex Lines. Approximately 24 electric-powered trains that operated along the Gladstone Branch pre-Sandy have been replaced by diesel-powered trains.
NJ Transit tentatively anticipates electric power to be restored to Hoboken Terminal by March, at which time electric trains will be restored to the affected lines. ---
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey transit, new jersey, superstorm sandy, mass transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain continues
- Eyewitness News Live
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again 37 min ago
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway 21 min ago
- Teen heading to prom dies in car accident
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- 3 hurt when I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos