ABC7 Traffic Center
Cold puts a freeze on rail commuters
CRANFORD (WABC) -- It's been a long morning for rail commuters as weather-related problems have been reported on NJTransit, LIRR and Metro North.
The most recent incident involved a power problem at the Portal Bridge in Newark. That happened around 10:00 a.m., causing delays for New Jersey Transit and Amtrak riders. Residual delays were expected on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Midtown Direct trains even after the problem was fixed around an hour earlier.
Earlier, a broken track near Princeton Junction caused delays of up to 40 minutes on Northeast Corridor trains into New York City.
Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole says workers expect to repair the fracture, which is about an inch long, well before Wednesday afternoon's rush.
Raritan Valley Line service resumed Wednesday morning between Cranford and Newark after Amtrak repaired overhead wires.
Broken rails and signal problems also caused significant delays for riders on Long Island Rail Road during Wednesday's morning rush. Those problems had been resolved by late morning.
Metro-North railroad resolved delays caused by weather-related circuit problems during the morning rush. The railroad had reported 20-minute rush-hour delays on its Harlem, Hudson and New Haven lines.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey transit, long island railroad, metro north, mass transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 24 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 25 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 3 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
21 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
58 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos