ABC7 Traffic Center
Cold puts a freeze on rail commuters
CRANFORD (WABC) -- It's been a long morning for rail commuters as weather-related problems have been reported on NJTransit, LIRR and Metro North.
The most recent incident involved a power problem at the Portal Bridge in Newark. That happened around 10:00 a.m., causing delays for New Jersey Transit and Amtrak riders. Residual delays were expected on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Midtown Direct trains even after the problem was fixed around an hour earlier.
Earlier, a broken track near Princeton Junction caused delays of up to 40 minutes on Northeast Corridor trains into New York City.
Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole says workers expect to repair the fracture, which is about an inch long, well before Wednesday afternoon's rush.
Raritan Valley Line service resumed Wednesday morning between Cranford and Newark after Amtrak repaired overhead wires.
Broken rails and signal problems also caused significant delays for riders on Long Island Rail Road during Wednesday's morning rush. Those problems had been resolved by late morning.
Metro-North railroad resolved delays caused by weather-related circuit problems during the morning rush. The railroad had reported 20-minute rush-hour delays on its Harlem, Hudson and New Haven lines.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey transit, long island railroad, metro north, mass transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 22 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident