ABC7 Traffic Center
Man killed in LIE crash was off-duty NYPD officer
MELVILLE (WABC) -- Westbound lanes on the Long Island Expressway were closed in Melville after a deadly crash early Monday.
Joseph Pritchard, an off-duty NYPD officer from West Babylon was killed in the crash. A 2008 Dodge pickup truck, driven by Pritchard, was stopped, for an unknown reason, in the westbound right lane of the LIE at 2:23 a.m. when it was struck from behind by a 2001 International box truck.
The LIE was closed from exit 51 to exit 53 as police investigate the crash.
The driver of the truck suffered unknown injuries.
long island, long island expressway, accident, abc7 traffic center
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 19 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 50 min ago
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Family loses two in East Harlem explosion
45 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from...
50 min ago