ABC7 Traffic Center
Transit worker fatally struck by train in Astoria identified
ASTORIA (WABC) -- Trains are once again running through a station in Queens after a transit worker was fatally struck on the tracks early Wednesday.
The incident happened at the 46th Street station in Astoria around 3:30 a.m.
The 58-year-old victim identified as Louis Moore was removed from the tracks just after 5 a.m., and other transit employees were visibly upset by what they had seen.
At this point, it is unknown why the man was on the tracks. It is unclear if there was scheduled track work or some other issue.
The signal maintainer is the first transit worker to be fatally struck by a train since 2007, when a veteran trackman was crushed by a G train at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station in Brooklyn. Another worker died in 2010, when he slipped and fell onto the third rail of elevated tracks in Queens.
It has been the second-longest stretch without a employee death by train since 1946. Nearly 240 transit workers have been killed on the job since 1946.
This time, the worker reportedly fell off a ladder while climbing up to the platform and was was struck by a Jamaica-bound E train. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Jermaine Ramos was a passenger on the train at the time.
"We felt this thump, so we knew somebody was probably on the tracks," he said. "So they stopped the train, and the had cops told us to get out. They didn't tell us anything like what happened, they just wanted to move everybody as quickly as possible."
mass transit, queens, subway, astoria, abc7 traffic center
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 26 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos