ABC7 Traffic Center
Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Everywhere you turned it was gridlock.
42nd Street and every entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel were clogged with traffic.
The Memorial Day weekend was off to an extremely slow start for tens of thousands of people stuck in Manhattan and in bumper to bumper traffic.
One couple was heading to New Jersey when the trouble started.
It was the height of rush hour on a Friday, normally tough to navigate, but made worse by an accident in the tunnel.
They are rerouting traffic there.
They wouldn't tell Eyewitness News on camera, but what they are telling motorists is that the Lincoln Tunnel is shut down.
That happened at around 5:30 p.m.
Cars, trucks and buses stopped, motorists dipped their heads into their hands, and many just gave up and tried to back out before getting in too deep.
Some jumped out of their cars trying hard to find an escape.
The delay drove up the time on the road for commuters and anyone else looking to get away for the weekend.
new jersey transit, abc7 traffic center, jeff pegues
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013