ABC7 Traffic Center
Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Everywhere you turned it was gridlock.
42nd Street and every entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel were clogged with traffic.
The Memorial Day weekend was off to an extremely slow start for tens of thousands of people stuck in Manhattan and in bumper to bumper traffic.
One couple was heading to New Jersey when the trouble started.
It was the height of rush hour on a Friday, normally tough to navigate, but made worse by an accident in the tunnel.
They are rerouting traffic there.
They wouldn't tell Eyewitness News on camera, but what they are telling motorists is that the Lincoln Tunnel is shut down.
That happened at around 5:30 p.m.
Cars, trucks and buses stopped, motorists dipped their heads into their hands, and many just gave up and tried to back out before getting in too deep.
Some jumped out of their cars trying hard to find an escape.
The delay drove up the time on the road for commuters and anyone else looking to get away for the weekend.
new jersey transit, abc7 traffic center, jeff pegues
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 22 min ago
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn 26 min ago
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million