ABC7 Traffic Center
New Jersey Transit bans drinking on concert trains
MATAWAN -- NJ Transit is banning all beverages on North Jersey Coast Line trains when concerts are held at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel.
Violators will face arrest, a $1,000 fine and get kicked off the train.
The trains stop in Matawan, where shuttle buses run to the arts center.
NJ Transit Police Chief Christopher Trucillo says the ban mirrors a policy put into effect toward the end of the 2012 concert season.
Trucillo tells the Asbury Park Press it was a dangerous situation with people being intoxicated and a number had to be treated for alcohol poisoning.
The chief says police will use discretion when it comes to commuters who bring coffee and water on board.
The beverage ban starts Friday.
new jersey transit, new jersey, mass transit, subway, bus, abc7 traffic center
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey 18 min ago
- Paterson fire guts 3 buildings, displaces families 45 min ago
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 39 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners recalled
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 36 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos